JFCS is hosting a free train the trainer session for organizations interested in the Your Money, Your Goals toolkit on November 2, 2016 from 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
The training is located at 2100 Arch St. Philadelphia, PA 19103 and space is limited. Please RSVP by October 25t to Joanna Johnson, 267-256-2267.
A description of Your Money, Your Goals from the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau:
Many people feel overwhelmed by their financial situations, and they may not know where to go for help. For many low-income Americans, frontline staff of nonprofit and public social services programs are in a unique position to provide that help.
Their clients already know and trust them, and in many cases, they’re already sharing financial information with them. Social workers and case managers know, however, that the financial stresses clients face may interfere with their progress toward other goals, like finding and keeping secure housing, staying in school, or even landing a job. As they make progress toward those goals, financial missteps can often erase their hard-fought gains.
Your Money, Your Goals is a toolkit to help front line staff and volunteers as they work with consumers to:
- Make spending decisions that can help them reach their goals;
- Order and fix credit reports;
- Avoid tricks and traps as they choose financial products;
- Make decisions about repaying debts and taking on new debt;
- Keep track of their income and bills;
- Decide if they need a checking account and understand what they need to open one.