The Philadelphia Office of Homeless Services is looking for volunteers to help distribute food to 500 homeless people and others from September 14th through September 25th.
The volunteer(s) will help support an outdoor centralized location for food distribution serving individuals and community members who are experiencing hunger and homelessness in Kensington (please see below questions addressing safety measures for volunteers). The initiative will help increase access to food and related services for up to 500 individuals a day -the need is great to serve! The volunteer(s) will work with a collaborative of established community meal providers to support successful distribution of to-go meals in accordance with health and safety guidelines (appropriate personal protective equipment to be provided and must be worn while volunteering).
Job duties generally include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting with the set-up & break down the site
- Welcoming individuals and assisting with crowd flow to reduce congestion and long-lines
- Distributing to-go meals to guests
- Guiding guests to services available on-site (ex. handwashing, physically distant seating)
- Assisting with keeping the lot clean and encouraging guests to throw away their trash appropriately
- Other operational tasks, as assigned.